When you turn on your AC system to cool off your home, it shouldn’t cause a ruckus loud enough to annoy the neighbors. While your system certainly isn’t made to be 100% silent, there are noises that are normal in your AC unit and others that are indicators of trouble. If your system requires central AC repair, concerning noises can be a great way to figure out that you need to reach out for service.
Bob Mims Heating & Air Conditioning is happy to provide the repair services that will restore optimal cooling power for your AC system. If you notice any of the noises we have listed here, you will want to contact us as soon as you can.
Normal AC Sounds
One way to identify when your AC is having trouble is to know when it stops making the sounds it is meant to create. Here are some sounds that an air conditioner that is working normally may make:
- Whooshing: The whoosh of cool air coming from your AC system is a normal sound to hear. In fact, this is the key sound you should always here from your system.
- Clicking: You may hear a little bit of clicking at the beginning or end of the cooling process. This is perfectly normal if the sound only lasts for a few brief minutes.
- “Taking Off”: You may hear your air conditioner making noises that sound like it is “taking off.” This is normal as your system starts up the cooling process.
Problematic AC Noises
Now that we know the sounds that your air conditioner may make normally, we want to touch on the sounds that it may emit when there is a problem. If you hear any of these noises, you will want to contact us to schedule repairs in the near future:
- Hissing: A hissing noise can indicate a couple of issues. One cause could be leaking refrigerant while another may be air being forced through a clogged air filter. If you catch this issue early enough you can prevent serious problems down the road.
- Rattling: Rattling usually indicates that there is something loose in your AC system that is bouncing around or is vibrating in its housing.
- Screeching: Screeching or screaming noises are hard to ignore and for good reason. This sound is going to be a sign of a deteriorating blower motor belt or of loose fan blades scraping inside their house.
- Clicking: Clicking can be normal if it only lasts for a short time. If you hear clicking throughout the entire cooling cycle though, there is a problem in your AC.
If there is a problem in your air conditioner, the sooner you get it identified and addressed, the better it will be for your home comfort and your energy bills. Don’t trust your repair job to just anyone though. Repaier services should be scheduled with professionals like the ones on our team.
Contact Bob Mims Heating & Air Conditioning to schedule your service today. Serving Staten Island’s Heating and A/C needs since 1955.