Do you live in a home where you have to control comfort using a manual dial-and-levers thermostat? These older style of thermostats can get the basic job done, but we recommend you consider making the upgrade to a digital programmable model—or even a “smart” Wi-Fi thermostat.
The Benefits of Going Programmable
The specific benefits of upgrading your home to programmable climate controls depend on the model you get. These are the broad benefits you can expect, but feel free to ask your installer questions about how the new system works—there may be advantages you don’t know about.
- Reduce utility bills: Even making the most basic upgrade to a digital thermostat without programmable features will save you money compared to a manual model thanks to the new unit’s precision. With a programmable thermostat you have a larger amount of control over your home’s climate, since you can program the thermostat to turn on and off even while you’re away. There’s no need to keep it running during the day so you can come back from work to a cool house.
- Convenience: Trying to adjust a manual thermostat during the day and night can mean a lot of time wasted trying to get the temperature just right. A programmable thermostat allows you to figure out the right temperatures for the day and night, set them, and then leave the rest to the thermostat’s programming.
- Constant temperatures: You won’t have to worry about hot and cold spots around your home from regularly adjusting to the thermostat. A programmable thermostat gives you constant and consistent temperatures for improved comfort.
- Better zone heating and cooling: Going programmable gives you the option to handle a zone control system for your house. Zone controls divide up the home into different comfort zones that can be manipulated separately from one another. Ask your HVAC technician about making this change to your home—it further improves comfort and energy savings.
- Going “smart” means more benefits: Even a basic programmable thermostat with only two program slots (day and night) is helpful. But we advise you look at the options for a “smart” Wi-Fi thermostat. These models offer the finest comfort controls on the market. You can control the thermostat remotely using an app on your phone or tablet from any place you have a satellite or internet connection. The smart technology allows the thermostat to learn from your setting history to develop maximized energy savings without sacrificing on comfort.
You’ll want to work with HVAC professionals when choosing and installing a thermostat in Staten Island, NY. If a thermostat that’s incompatible with the current HVAC system is put in place, it could end up damaging the heater and air conditioner.
If you are currently considering a new air conditioning or heating installation for your home (and spring is a great time for a new AC!) we strongly recommend you make a programmable thermostat a part of it. Talk to our professionals and they’ll match you and the HVAC system with a thermostat that will help you get the most from your heating and cooling.
Bob Mims Heating & Air Conditioning: Serving Staten Island’s Heating and A/C needs since 1955.